Technical Advisor: Adherence and Retention
- Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng
- Anova Health Institute NPC
Anova is an NGO that empowers people and changes lives. Good health and quality of life is what motivates us to provide healthcare solutions and support for those who need it most.
The succesful candidate will implement and coordinate all activities aimed at increasing adherence & retention to ART & other chronic medication, including the full package of National Adherence Strategy in the PHC facilities and Hospitals in Sedibeng District. Their key responsibility will be to implement the minimum adherence package as per National Department of Health’s guidelines, including training and mentoring of facility staff.
Key duties and responsibilities:
Develop and distribute tools for National Adherence Strategy (NAS) in the relevant PHC facilities as stipulated by the NDOH guidelines.
- Facilitate and implement the NAS minimum package in all supported facilities including those identified as focus/learning sites.
- Coordinate the roll-out and implementation of the Case Management approach and other one-on-one or group-based adherence models.
- Ensure USAID Implementation guidelines for Adherence to Treatment and Retention in Care are fully implemented in all Anova supported facilities.
- Identify patients most at risk of poor adherence & retention and develop strategies to support & keep them in care; including patients with comorbidities especially Hypertensions and Diabetes.
- Identify adherence gaps in all treatment programmes, including TB, HIV, STI’s, and PMTCT.
- Evaluate clinical outcomes of patients enrolled into adherence strategies.
- Liaise with all Technical Advisors and relevant DOH stakeholders in planning and implementation of adherence improvement in all programs.
- Introduce and orientate DOH & Anova staff to Adherence & Retention in Care guidelines and policies, including NAS.
- Facilitate training of all relevant staff.
- Mentor all relevant staff on all activities related to NAS guidelines and other retention strategies.
- Provide guidance and support to case managers, adherence counsellors, chronic adherence club facilitators in planning and implementing activities; and in monitoring and reporting of programme activities.
- Facilitate the process of certification for Anova CLOs and DOH HTS counsellors.
Health Systems Strengthening and QI
- Identify the barriers to linkage, adherence and retention in care in all NAS supported sites
- Ensure implementation guidelines are followed by providing recommendations and guidance on strategies to overcome the barriers to adherence & retention.
- Identify gaps in systems and promote interventions that will improve treatment adherence and good clinical outcomes.
- Liaise with relevant Anova staff, DOH managers and other key stakeholders across all levels of service delivery who are involved in the NAS and other adherence & retention related policies at facility level.
- Liaise with other partners within the district and the province for an effective coordinated NAS and retention strategies.
- Offer technical support in the district technical working group.
- Offer technical support in the Provincial & National technical working groups as needed.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Measure and share programmatic progress, achievements and lessons learnt of the adherence & retention programme to all relevant stake holders.
- Work with the M&E team to ensure proper data recording of the NAS program and retention activities.
Reporting and administration
- Consolidate and write up monthly and quarterly progress reports on all activities and plans.
- Presentation of the Adherence & Retention program at all relevant meetings.
- Documentation of good practices within Anova and the DOH.
- Write and submit an abstract about the adherence program.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Degree in Social Science or relevant health related qualification.
- Postgraduate Qualification in Public Health or related field, an advantage.
- Registration with the relevant South African Council or Professional Body.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the public health sector, at least 3 years’ experience working in HIV & TB programmes.
- Training in I-ACT and NAS (National Adherence Strategy) and KidzAlive.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel within the District, Province and nationally if required.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Have good attention to detail, deadline driven, ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- A good team player with good time management
- Ability to mentor and supervise staff.
- Ability to analyse and report on programme performance.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Power point.
- Ability to work with databases (MS Access, Excel or other).
- Ability to communicate technical and policy issues clearly and effectively.
- In-depth knowledge of all relevant strategic policies and programmes.
Closing date: 12 February 2023
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Anova Health Institute is a provider of essential health services and therefore has a mandatory vaccination policy. Should your application be successful, you will be required to submit your proof of vaccination before commencing employment in the role.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 4 weeks of submitting their application should assume that they have not been successful.
Unsolicited CVs from agencies will not be paid agency fees should their candidate be placed at Anova.