- Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
- Headhunters (Head Office)
About the position
Our client based in the Grahamstown area is looking for an experienced Sous Chef.
As second-in-command, the Sous Chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in the kitchen. This involves a large degree of supervising other kitchen staff, as well as keeping an eye out for problems that arise in the kitchen and seizing control of a situation at a moment’s notice.
The Sous Chef may also need to effectively discipline underperforming staff members, as well as provide positive feedback for staff members to go above and beyond the expectations of their particular chef roles.
- 2+ years of experience as a Sous Chef.
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management.
- Accuracy and speed in handling situations and providing solutions.
- Familiar with industry’s best practices.
- Qualification in Culinary diploma.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the executive chef to produce diversified menus in accordance with the restaurant’s policy and vision.
- Assist the executive chef with new menu creations and costings.
- Establish the working schedule and organize the work in the kitchen so that everything works like a “well-oiled machinery”.
- Produce high quality dishes that follow up the established menu and level up to standards, as well as to clients’ requirements.
- Train kitchen staff in order to reach the high standards of the operation.
- Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours.
- Ensure that all operational hygiene levels are maintained and checked daily.
- Ensure that all prep sheets are done for the kitchen team each day prior to shifts and that all prep is checked daily for production and freshness.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not heard back from us within 2 weeks.
- Leading Teams
- Menu Planning