Service Centre Technician
- Cape Town, South Africa
- John Crane
To provide in house service repair support and delivery of value adding site support to customers, operating primarily within the Cape Region.
Whilst the main focus of the role is to provide internal service repair support, the ability to deliver on-site service support is also essential.
To ensure that the service center gives the highest level of service possible to our customers, while reducing cost to maximize profits.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To maintain a high level of focus on safety and housekeeping in the service facility.
- To ensure all items for refurbishment brought into the service center are properly identified and received with the necessary paperwork and customer identification.
- Ensure all items for repair have been decontaminated prior to disassembly.
- Prior to disassembly, liaise with sales representative responsible for the account regarding photographs to be taken and observation report to be done.
- Disassembly and scoping of work.
- Assist with quotations to customers and costing of repairs.
- Once an order has been received, liaise with the appropriate internal departments to ensure that the customer receives his goods by the required date and to the required specification.
- To make sure that the seals and or pumps are correctly tested prior to dispatch, test certificate printed and added to packaging
- To assist with deliveries to clients.
- To be available to assist customers and reps with onsite fault finding and work.
- To be proactive in the re-ordering of all consumables used in the service center.
- Ensure that the equipment within the department is kept in good working condition and standard.
- Maintain and operate lapping and polishing machines within John Crane’s specification and standards.
- Assist with inventory management.
- Do heavy lifting and rigging in the execution of tasks.
- Assist / perform minor machining tasks utilizing the following workshop machines :
- LatheMilling MachineDrill pressSurface / pedestal grinder
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics.
We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE :
- Relevant vocational technical qualification.
- Product knowledge and service experience on mechanical seals, seal support systems and rotating equipment, like pumps.
- Ideally knowledge of some of the John Crane product range or equivalents (seals, bearings, couplings etc.) and customer sectors (Oil & Gas, Mining, Chemical Processing, Pulp & Paper etc.).
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS :
- Quantitative and qualitative skills.
- Excellent planning, project- and time management skills.
- Results driven, both individually and within team.
- Ability to work independently but also be a strong team player.
- Excellent communications skills verbal and written.
- Valid driving license.
- Effective use of a PC and associated software packages.
- SAP knowledge an advantage.