QUANTITY SURVEYOR – INFRASTRUCTURE PLANNING AND DE...
- South Africa
- Coega Development Corporation
The Quantity Surveyor (QS) is accountable to the Program Director: DOEDSRAC and shall be thoroughly familiar with the format and working of the Public and Private Sector Infrastructure Development and the QS systems.
The QS is mandated by the Board of Directors of the CDC to take responsibility for all cost controls of designated infrastructure works under the overall direction of the Executive Manager of the Business Unit.
3. RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
The primary objective of the QS is to ensure that the objectives of the projects designated are achieved. In pursuance of this primary objective, the CDC QS is required to:
- Undertake feasibility studies on new developments and improvements including NPV/IRR calculations and accurately compute contract values;
- Perform project risk management and evaluate commercial risks of new-build;
- Implement a robust procurement strategy and cost control processes;
- Preparing and reviewing Bills of Quantities;
- Prepare and analyse costing for tenders considering plans and using best available price;
- Conduct tender evaluation;
- Make recommendations to management on allocation of work to contractors, subcontractors and professional fees;
- As in-house a QS, minimise the project cost and hold service providers strictly accountable;
- Prepare trend analysis and forecasting of project costs and cash flows relative to budget;
- Compile a database of unit rates and setting up a system of cost norms;
- Provide advice on contractual claims and manage variations;
- Attend site progress meetings when required;
- Value completed work and issue payment orders, less any retention;
- Produce periodic detailed project progress reports and analyse project outcomes relative to project plan including cost reports, cash flow reports and variation orders;
- Undertaking costs analysis for repair and maintenance work;
- Attend tender briefing meetings when required;
- Comply with internal policies, procedures, systems and controls;
- Perform other general estimating or QS functions; and
- Supervisory, mentorship and training requirements.
Furthermore, you are to ensure that:
- You are aware of and have access to the CDC’s SHEMS;
- You are aware of your responsibilities and duties as laid out in the CDC’s SHEMS;
- You are aware that you work in a safe and environmentally friendly manner;
- You ensure that the company’s housekeeping standards are maintained throughout your area of responsibility;
- You report any unsafe conditions or acts which you cannot rectify yourself to your SHE representative or to the Senior SHE Project Manager as soon as possible;
- You report all SHE incidents which occur within your area of responsibility promptly and in the correct format;
- You are totally familiar with your responsibilities in terms of the CDC’s emergency plan;
- You communicate to the Senior SHE Project Manager any required changes to the SHEMS prior to implementing these changes;
- You timeously complete and correctly record any corrective action which needs to be taken in order to rectify a SHE matter;
- You give full co-operation to, and participate in (as required), the CDC’s internal and external SHEMS audits.
You have the authority to:
- Immediately stop any person(s) on CDC property from committing an unsafe or destructive act or omission;
- Take whatever immediate steps you deem necessary to prevent injury or environmental damage when confronted with an unsafe or destructive condition.
Additionally ensure that:
- During your period of employment and subsequent thereto, you shall keep confidential and shall not make use of, directly or indirectly, and shall not disclose any of the CDC’s trade secrets or confidential information or those of its subsidiary or associate companies or those of other persons who have made disclosures to the CDC under conditions of confidentiality, other than to persons authorised by the CDC or those employed by the CDC who are required to know such secrets or to have such information for the purpose of their employment with the CDC.
- You shall not, without the written permission of the CEO, be directly or indirectly employed for gain in any business or pursuit other than that of the CDC. Such permission will be granted only if the CEO is satisfied that the activity is not in conflict with the CDC’s interests, and that the Employee’s ability to fulfil his/her duties to the CEO satisfaction will not be impaired.
- It is conditional that you and/or no immediate relative or member of my household be employed by an organisation in direct competition with the CDC, without the CDC’s written approval. The CDC reserves the right to enquire as to the place of employment of my spouse or any member of my household.
- You will abide by the CDC Code of Conduct and Ethics Policy which seeks to codify the expected ethical behavior from me, to meet the ideal of good corporate governance.
4. COMPETENCIES AND REQUIREMENTS
- BSc / BTech degree specializing in Quantity Surveying;
- Professional Registration as a QS (Pr.QS);
- 10 years’ experience after registration as a QS with a medium to large sized reputable Company or independent QS consulting practice;
- Proficiency in use of automated QS tools and software;
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations;
- Knowledge of building regulations including relevant legislation, regulations, and ordinances governing property;
- Firm understanding of building / engineering contracts and their application ideally with commercial / industrial experience
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong analytical ability;
- Logical and precise;
- Creative and innovative approach to problem solving;
- Security clearance with a risk profile to work on high security projects;
- IDMS certification will be an added advantage.
The appointment of candidates is subject to the verification of all their credentials (employment history, educational, financial, criminal and any other checks as may be necessary). Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and if you have not heard from us within two (2) months of submitting your application, please consider it unsuccessful.
All applications must be forwarded to [email protected]