Protection Services Manager Specialised (FIU)
- Rustenburg, North West 0300
- De Beers Group of Companies
-The Protection Services Forensic Investigation Manager (FIU) leads the Forensic Investigation Unit, which has a wide-ranging remit to undertake complex and/or high-profile investigations within AAP. The FIU’s investigation mandate previously included Gender Based Violence, but this has been transferred to ABAS.
The role is accountable for the application of best practice investigative techniques in order to identify potential threats to AAP interests, identify and investigate suspects, identify and assess risks and apply appropriate control measures and counter measures to reduce the risk of future breaches of security.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
Anglo American aims to lead the future of mining. Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we strive to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives".
Our Platinum business mines, processes, and refines the entire range of platinum group metals (PGMs): platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium. We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers.
-Your day-to-day duties will include:
Effective, dynamic leadership of the FIU to conduct successful investigations to protect AAP people, product and physical assets, through:
- Coordination and management of FIU operational effort to match capacity with requirements and to focus on the highest priority investigations through effective liaison with the Process Divisions team, other Protection Services Managers and operational units, the Threat Information Hub, Source Handling Unit (SHU) and other investigation teams.
- Preparation and review of the FIU investigation portfolio and work schedule.
- Close liaison with the Investigation Principal and General Manager Security to agree on priorities and give/obtain feedback.
- Up to date awareness of developing security trends in AAP and in the PGM mining and processing business more widely to identify potential information gaps and new requirements.
- Deconfliction with other investigation teams.
- Rigorous, effective risk management measures and contingency plans to ensure the safety of FIU staff at all times.
- Identification and application in FIU of investigative best practice through benchmarking against other organisations.
- Ensuring that new ideas and investigative techniques are shared within the AAP Security command, and more widely if appropriate.
- Identification of knowledge or experience gaps in FIU that may need to be addressed via expert external advice.
- Continuous assessment of incoming leads and other threat information and feedback to collectors.
- Contribution to Security command reviews of policies, procedures, and prophylactic measures, including new technologies, to reduce the risk to AAP people, product and physical assets.
- Management and supervision of large, complex investigations, especially when conducted jointly with other agencies.
- Effective liaison with Legal counsel, SAPS and other LEAs as appropriate to support prosecutions.
Effective management and application of policies, procedures and systems
- Clear, concise and accurate drafting of investigation reports and other documentation, including ad hoc reports for managers.
- Maintenance of a decision log to ensure actions and decisions are recorded and auditable.
- Accountability for FIU adherence to record management policies and procedures
- Preservation, safe and secure storage of legacy records.
- Accountability for FIU adherence to AAP policies and procedures on incident reporting, to ensure that full details are recorded, and appropriate lessons learned and applied.
- Ensuring the registration of FIU staff with relevant regulatory bodies.
- Consistently apply Safety & Health principles in all interactions and take personal responsibility for safety of self and others to ensure zero harm and elimination of fatalities
- Identify specific risks within working area and adhere to discipline-specific plans/system to avoid these risks
o Report on critical control performance within team
o Embed critical controls into daily work practices of team
Sustainability & Social
- Support delivery of the relevant sustainability activities on a Business Unit level
- Input into AAP Business Unit-level cross-functional integration on sustainability
- Contribute to building relationships with key stakeholders relevant to the discipline on a Business Unit level, ensuring engagements are consistent with Business Unit and Group sustainability initiatives and standards
People & Teams
- Implement a purpose-driven, high-performing culture that is aligned with the company values, is inclusive and promotes diversity, supports engagement and fosters continuous improvement to work processes
- Act as a role model and actively engage as a team member in all team processes.
- Ensure individuals and team have the knowledge, skills, authorities and resources to deliver against expectations and accountability (time, people and budget)
- Creation of a one team approach, where every team member is valued for the contribution, they make and has a genuine stake in FIU successes.
- Creation of a culture where two-way communication and constructive, respectful challenge are encouraged.
- Ensure compliance of the discipline with external (legislative, regulatory, permitting) requirements.
- Ensure compliance of the discipline with Anglo American compliance requirements.
- Adhere to compliance governance within the team.
This role is in the AAP Security Department at a band 6 - 12 level reporting to the Investigation Principal.
-Bachelor’s degree or an honours in Security Management or equivalent qualification & experience
- Registration with PSIRA Grade A or capability and intention to achieve this if successful.
- Post graduate qualification in Security Management advantageous
- Recognition of prior learning
- Experience in mining related fraud and corruption investigations
- Experience in Coaching and mentoring skills for junior staff
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Experience in and positive approach to cultural diversity
-If successful, you may be required to undergo a Medical Fitness Test and a polygraph test
Who We Are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet? That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What We Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing date: 09 February 2023