O&M Solar Plant Manager
- Upington, Northern Cape
General InformationCountry South Africa State/Region Northern Cape City Upington Team Renewable Energies Seniority Expert Job Type Permanent Hire Type Full-Time Work Regimen Hybrid Posting Date 08-Feb-2023 Expiration Date 23-Feb-2023
Description and RequirementsThe Plant Manager will join the Operation & Maintenance department of Enel Green Power (EGP), a multinational IPP, and reports directly to the O&M Head of Solar. Maintaining plant production and uptime are essential in ensuring delivery of MWs to the grid, revenue generation, and meeting/exceeding shareholder expectations.
Possessing a Government Certificate of Competency (GCC), the incumbent will ensure compliance to legislative, regulatory and statutory requirements including the OHS Act 85 of 1993. Having a combination of delivery, innovative and solutions-driven mindset, he/she will coordinate the day-to-day solar plant activities with service providers and site personnel efficiently and effectively. Collaboration with the Head of Solar Technology is necessary to provide one clear direction to site-based teams while executing strategies and effective communication to break down organizational silos. Drive and deliver on routine maintenance technical issues resolution and project improvements with a sense of urgency, accuracy and completeness.
What you will do:
- Perform operations and maintenance leadership of solar PV plant(s).
- Provide communication platforms for supporting departments (Main Control Room (MCR), Technical Support, Performance improvement departments, auditors, Human Resources and HSEQ).
- Coordinate, supervise and report on site contractors’ daily activities.
- Coordinate technical and/or operational meetings with the Operations and Maintenance Contractors.
- Perform relationship management of local stakeholders; Landowners and Community Consortium collaboratively with the Community Liaison Officer (CLO) and EGP’s Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) and requirements; and coordinate plant activities with Eskom.
- Be cognizant of plant commitments regarding empowerment, job creation, preferential expenditures, and promoting plant personnel training and development.
- Utilize support of the EGP central departments such as Maintenance Services and Technical Support, Operations and Maintenance Improvement (OMI), and Global teams to share and escalate technical problems while seeking for solutions.
- Provide innovative interactions and implement strategies to improve safety, productivity, reliability and local service providers’ performance.
- Manage plant logistics and warehouse spare parts collaboratively with the Maintenance Services department.
- Liaising with Eskom, local municipality and community liaison officer; Technology Support Engineers, and the MCR in terms of plant uptime and activities being carried out in the plant.
- Manage plant personnel development by creating learning opportunities, having their best interests at heart, and augmenting skillsets through talent management, and formal training and plant practical training.
- Prepare plant reports to keep O&M fully informed about plant performance, results, and criticalities, others necessary to better run the plant.
- Perform finance application and monthly reporting.
- Providing required performance and planning and site activity reports as required by the support departments and stakeholders.
- Provide support to O&M organization on new projects, training and developments skills, and rollout of strategic business initiatives.
- Required to support other solar plants in Sub-Saharan South Africa.
- Support O&M with analysis, technical investigations and coordinated effort, where necessary, to improve plant reliability, availability and maintainability.
- Support different Business Units within EGP especially Business Development in the development of new projects.
- Providing input and support to all stakeholder meetings such Project Steering Committee, farmers union, local projects forums, local business forums, etc.
- Management of safe execution of daily tasks through provided technology and systems.
- Structuring personnel, fleet and technological services to support and respond to plant operations at any given time.
- Manage all contracts issued and other services in order to ensure best results.
- Perform regular traceable inspections of quality and safety of the plant equipment/assets.
- Work to meet plant KPIs such as availability, plant production, zero accidents, O&M plant budgets, equipment failure rate, time to attend events, strategic rollouts, and SAP system use, amongst others.
- Coordinate plant tasks, activities and deliverables in compliance with EGP’s health, safety, environment and quality (HSEQ) policies, rules, and procedures aiming for zero harm/accidents.
- Be the custodian of occupational health, safety and environment for the plant(s) and receive support by the HSEQ department.
- Carry out all legal aspects for plant equipment and perform supervisory of machinery as the GMR 2(1) appointee.
- Utilize provided plant management software tools to the benefit of productivity and efficiency improvement.
- Authorize, permit and supervise MV/HV switching operations for maintenance and inspection purposes.
- Review of equipment performance with supporting departments.
- Ensure all incidents are duly reported, investigated and the root causes analyzed including producing flash reports.
- Encourage the local team on doing plant equipment performance analysis and look for ways to improve plant performance as a continuous activity.
- Tracing machine performance through Power curves, Production analysis, Alarms and faults.
- Tracking performance of the technology and contractors.
- Parts of the technology equipment is automated, therefore ensuring all components pertaining to plant and substation communications are in order (including spares), collecting, quantifying data from different systems.
- Be proactive and encourage the plant team to identify and raise innovative solutions and procedures for O&M.
- To complement plant performance and production management responsibilities, technical capability is sought in conducting analysis, diagnostic and troubleshooting of solar equipment and SCADA system challenges.
- Perform prompt technical resolution and plant operability/functionality, particularly on inverters, IGBT stacks and electrical balance of plant. Being skilled in intrusive inverter repairs and maintenance is advantageous.
- Required to attend to carry out inverter scheduled and corrective maintenance.
- Manage with support from your plant sub-ordinates, to plan and execute scheduled and corrective maintenance works.
- Make available traceable maintenance and inspection progress statistics and reports.
- Coordinate plant activities to maintain plant equipment to contractual availability while driving optimal performance.
- Developing maintenance schedules in conjunction with adhering to O&M specifications.
- Trace favorable conditions for executing maintenance versus production.
- Possess extensive experience in handling preventative/corrective and breakdown maintenance.
- Perform quality inspections and checks and conduct strict oversight and approval of service provider activities and performance.
- Effectively manage spares at plant level to service corrective maintenance demands while keeping track of strategic spares, inventory, and consumption.
Who you are:
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar with professional accreditation.
- Government Certificate of Competency for Factories (GCC (Factories)) is compulsory.
- Experience appointed as a GMR 2(1).
- Master further studies and/or project management qualification would be advantageous.
- More than 5 years renewable energy industry O&M experience or similar technical role particularly in Solar technology.
- Knowledge in the grid code compliance of South Africa is advantageous.
What we search for in you:
High technical competency particularly on renewable plant electrical equipment including the power utility substations, and especially inverters would be advantageous.
- Knowledge and experience as well as design-implementation and application of LV/MV/HV equipment viz. inverter technology, electrical balance of plant, or power utility substations.
- Plant safety and technical/technology management.
- Electrical equipment/component troubleshooting and diagnosis.
- In depth knowledge of renewable energy industrial, power plant engineering, renewable energy power plant operation & maintenance, and environmental and safety requirements.
- Proficiency in coordinating and monitoring contractors’ performance for O&M, safety, quality, and environmental conformance; and scheduling of activities.
- Knowledge of the energy market and the relationships with Eskom, and government institutions in connection with this sector.
- Managing people with empathy and in best professional way.
- Liaison skills with key internal & external (incl. Global) stakeholders.
- Detailed individual and organizational skills to compile and track plants documentation, events, and conduct performance analysis.
- Good personal work skills with due consideration for office protocol and expectations.
- Conversant with national and international contracts for services and materials in the energy sector
What we offer: Permanent Employment, Upington Solar Plant, Diedericks Street
You can apply until: 23 February 2023
Who we are:
Enel Green Power is part of Enel’s Group, and manages all the generation from renewable sources in Enel’s world countries. Our pillars are sustainability and innovation. We want to build a new way of living energy, creating sustainable development and making clean energy accessible to all. A world leader in clean energy, with a total capacity of more than 54 GW and a generation mix that includes wind, solar, geothermal, and hydroelectric power, as well as energy storage facilities, Enel Green Power is at the forefront of integrating innovative technologies into renewable energy plants.
Innovation, Trust, Proactivity and Responsibility are the core values of our Organization. We are always looking for different perspectives, ideas and points of view. Each person is important to us, independently from their gender, age, nationality, ability or any other form of diversity or specificity. We are a people focused Company and we work to empower all our colleagues through development programs and lifelong learning.
We promote work flexibility recognizing the importance of well-being and work-life balance. Find out more information on our website: www.enelgreenpower.com