- Simondium, Western Cape
Babylonstoren is looking for a Museums Assistant to join our multi-disciplinary team – someone who is meticulous about research, has a passion for history and attention to detail. Our ideal candidate also has a creative mind, is able to think on their feet and is flexible to adapt to the fast-paced nature of the project. The successful candidate will assist with historical research, sourcing items for our collections and exhibitions, and general administration in assistance of the museum team.
- Honours or master’s degree in museum studies, history, cultural studies, art curation, art conservation or related field
- Experience in a museum or art gallery context preferred, or project-related work in a related field
- Excellent research and writing skills, creative background could be beneficial
- Fluent in both written and spoken Afrikaans and English
- Able to work according to tight deadlines, multitask efficiently and with attention to detail
- Proactive, reliable and able to work in a small team
- Own transport essential
- Assist the museum team with historical research in aid of designing exhibitions
- Compile short reports on historical research for internal use
- Source relevant items for use in our collections and exhibitions, whether on auction or in retail outlets – this includes consulting with subject experts to confirm authenticity and may involve domestic travel in own transport
- Support museum team with general administration and exhibition-related tasks, including installation of exhibitions
Please send your CV, a writing sample (for example an academic article (published or unpublished) or your thesis) and a covering letter to email@example.com .