Media Relations Officer Position
- Johannesburg, Gauteng
- National Bargaining Council for the Road Freight a
Purpose of the Role
The Media Relations Officer is involved in all aspects of the development and implementation of The NBCRFLI media-based communication strategies. The Media Relations Officer is responsible for promoting and protecting the organisation’s reputation by developing and executing media and public relations strategies and plans for brand building/innovation, corporate promotions, internal communications, and corporate communications/affairs initiatives through the use of various media outlets in collaboration with the Communications and Marketing team.
- Excellent people and negotiation skills.
- Good planning and analytical skills.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Ability to motivate and lead by example.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent understanding of social media and content writing skills.
- Excellent computer and software tools skills.
- Be the main contact as media liaison/company spokesperson.
- Develop and manage the media strategy, content schedules, campaigns, and promotions across media and digital platforms.
- Promote and protect the brand ethos and reputation.
- Leading in the developing, implementing and measuring external and internal media-based communication plans.
- Manage day-to-day media relations/media requests for brand and corporate issues.
- Create a media crisis management plan for the Council’s use.
- Collaborate with Communications and Marketing and subject matter experts in a timely manner to determine appropriate media responses via various channels. Develop written materials including press releases, Q&A, media standby statements on brand and corporate issues as required.
- Build and maintain relationships with key media and other marketing outlets for disseminating communications to targeted audience.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Brand PR programs to support brand building initiatives/innovation/corporate promotions. Help oversee program execution from kick off through to completion.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communication and relevant departments to ensure that queries are managed and resolved across different company channel
- Evaluate the effectiveness of media programs and communicate results back to management. Prepares various documents intended for the media, press releases, articles, brochures, and other written documents for information purposes, and obtains the required approvals
- Monitors, evaluates, and reports on the effectiveness and influence of Council’s social media communications tools for reaching and engaging targeted audiences.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Council relating to media activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related
- 4 - 6years' experience working in a Media Relations role or in Public Relations.
- Must possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Highly organized with the ability to multitask.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, internet, wire services, media monitoring software, and other public relation tools.
- Demonstrated success with all Social Media tools.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast-paced, often pressured environment and see a project through to completion.
- Must have the ability to be a highly influential communications consultant within the organisation.