Manager - Data Science & Advanced Analytics
- Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Position: Assistant Manager within the Data & Analytics team
- Location: Johannesburg South Africa
- Report to: Senior Manager / Partner
- Type of candidate:
- We require candidates who are experienced in the identification, design, execution and delivery of statistical / data science and machine learning projects
- Candidate should also be capable of working with clients to solve business problems using data science solutions.
We’re currently looking for Data and Analytics (DnA) Assistant Manager to play a role in our dedicated DnA team. DnA has never been as important in Technology at it is today, and that trend is only set to continue. It’s all about predicting future events in an increasingly ambiguous market. To stay ahead, we’re diversifying our technology capabilities and using innovative new tools and processes, and this is your chance to make a big impact on that vision. It is a great time to join a high-profile team where you’ll be surrounded by some of the most interesting and knowledgeable DnA professionals in Consulting.
The ideal candidate should ideally have a proven track record on building data science solutions, whilst supporting the development of market leading solutions and supporting our go-to-market activities. The person further needs 4+ years of experience in managing teams in executing across data and analytics solution offerings.
Role: To manage client portfolios relating to the design, development and implementation of dats science and analytics driven solutions, both in South Africa and abroad. Consulting background preferable, with an understanding of business and operational processes. The key requirement of this role will be the ability to understand and unpack a client’s requirements and design an appropriate solution and data architecture to meet the brief, while at the same time managing the client relationship, expectations, risks and progress against milestones.
To qualify for the role, you must have:
- University degree or similar qualification in a technical field e.g. Mathematical Statistics, Operations Research, Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Modelling Information Technology, Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Practical experience: design, and execution and delivery of statistical / data science / machine learning models
Skills and attributes for success:
Inter-personal and management attributes:
- Strong-interpersonal skills and presentation skills; and ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Experience designing and building statistical forecasting models; experience designing and building machine learning models.
- Experience with sourcing, transforming and cleaning data (and a willingness to get your hands dirty)
- Excellent problem-framing, problem-solving and project management skills.
- Excellent customer service and team collaboration skills.
- Working with diverse, multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience delivering projects using Agile / Scrum preferred
Ideal technical skills (not all are required but these are preferred)
Experience with relevant statistical software / programming languages (Python, R, MATLAB)
- Knowledge and experience of relational (SQL) and no-SQL databases
- Using new and emerging platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with modern development and deployment tools e.g. Git, Docker, Test-driven deployment
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Azure and scaling analytic products in the cloud
- Working knowledge in visualization platforms and customization (Power BI, Tableau etc)
Who we are:
At EY we support you in achieving your unique potential both personally and professionally. We give you stretching and rewarding experiences that keep you motivated, working in an atmosphere of integrity and teaming with some of the world's most successful companies. And while we encourage you to take personal responsibility for your career, we support you in your professional development in every way we can. You enjoy the flexibility to devote time to what matters to you, in your business and personal lives. At EY you can be who you are and express your point of view, energy and enthusiasm, wherever you are in the world. It's how you make a difference.