Management Forester Camelot North
- South Africa
Sappi Southern Africa
We are hiring!
At Sappi, we are a leading global provider with a reputation for delivering high-quality sustainable Woodfibre products and solutions for the global markets. We lead through our values centred around integrity, courage, making smart decisions which we execute with speed. We are seeking unique people who believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
We’re on the lookout for an experienced Management Forester to plan, execute & achieve the operational estate management, harvesting objectives & targets for fibre production within resource & SHEQ parameters to ensure a sustainable and low cost fibre supply to Sappi mills and external customers.
As a Management Forester, you will be responsible to:
- Build, maintain and reinforce a “predict and prevent” safety culture in all integrated operations
- Inspect operations regularly to identify risks & ensure that timeous action (blanking & pest control, coppice management) is undertaken.
- Plan & conduct regular field inspections to ensure that crops, through the timing of operations (weed control, pest & disease management), achieve maximum yields within cost constraints.
- Ensure that plantations use the Fire Risk Management System (FRMS) to identify risks. Record & implement fire control procedures in order to ensure the effective protection of people, plantations and other assets from forest fires.
- Develop a tactical plan & ensure that the annual plan of operations for both commercial and open areas comply with standards and service level agreements
- Develop a pre-harvest plan per compartment in collaboration with the Contractor and Silviculture.
- Conduct a risk assessment per compartment in order to mitigate potential risks.
- Ensure that the Harvesting budget is managed effectively by ensuring sales target tons/per day is achieved.
- Compile in conjunction with Roads Engineer, annual tactical road maintenance plan.
- Scheduling of short-haul and loading operations to ensure rail/road transport is released on time.
- Ensure that company assets such as buildings, villages and company houses are maintained and managed effectively according to set standards (hygiene & legal compliance) and within budget constraints.
- Ensure that relations with communities, other internal and external stakeholders are effectively maintained and managed in order to ensure company image is upheld, risks mitigated and relationships enhanced.
What are we looking for?
- National Diploma in Forestry or related qualification
- Minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work within a global organisation that continues to thrive in a rapidly changing world even after 80 years of existence
- learning and development programmes to fast-track your career within Sappi
- Opportunities to travel (dependent on upon the role)
- Market leading leave benefits
- Employee wellbeing benefits
Closing Date: 22 February 2023
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issues while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. At Sappi, we encourage and support vaccination.