Library Technician IV
- SU Libraries
- Syracuse University
Under general guidance, utilizes a specialized knowledge of subjects, computer applications, or disciplines that apply to library processes and / or services or provides specialized knowledge of library functions.
Utilizes a variety of systems and resources to provide access to library collections and performs the more complex technical functions requiring proficiency with technical protocols, digital technology, and data manipulation skills.
Exercises initiative and independent judgment when providing service or interpreting, analyzing, and applying policies and procedures.
Routinely analyze and resolves complex problems that may impact other Library departments or the organization, and / or external parties and organizations.
MAJOR PURPOSE : Access Services staff are the primary stewards of the circulating physical collections at Syracuse University Libraries, responsible for operating the checkout desks, sorting and re-shelving returns, and stacks maintenance.
Work in Access Services requires strong customer service skills and the ability to use computer software such as Microsoft 365 and the Library Information System (Voyager).
The position involves training and directing the work of student employees. Qualifications Associate degree and at least 2 years of work in a public service setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Library experience preferred but not required. Job Specific Qualifications
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to proving service effectively in a diverse environment.
- Ability to use necessary library materials, bibliographic materials, and office equipment.
- Attention to detail demonstrated by the capacity for carrying out tasks in an accurate and timely manner, and ability to check own work for accuracy.
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and perform effectively in a fast-paced environment with a fluctuating workload and frequent distractions and interruptions.
- Ability to initiate and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and managers. Ability to work harmoniously and as a team player, thrive in a team-based environment, and skilled in fostering teamwork among others.
- Demonstrated proficiency and capabilities with personal computers and standard computer office applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Teams, or other productivity software and with the Web.
- Efficiently process transactions at the checkout desk, including lending and accepting returns of books, study room keys and short-term technology loans.
- Assist in student worker management, including but not limited to training, monitoring student schedules, and providing daily direction of work study students.
- Assist in supporting stacks maintenance responsibilities and collection movement projects.
- Processing Course Reserves, including gathering and organizing Reserves materials and placing items on reserve in the Voyager system.
- Assist patrons with access inquiries via electronic communication (email, Orange Tracker ticketing system).
- Participate in Access and Resource Sharing department functions, including participation in departmental policy discussions, professional development, and support of other functional working groups of the department.
- Perform work assigned in the support of other units in the department including Interlibrary Loan and other service desks in the Libraries.
- Utilize RFID technology to assist in physical inventory projects, including searching for lost, claims returned, or missing books.
- Other duties as assigned based on fluctuating needs and workflows of working groups and departments.
- Daily repetitive motion, sitting, standing, stooping, lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to pushcart filled with library books up to 80 pounds and move tables and chairs.
Tools / Equipment
- Operate hand trucks, carts, and other equipment for retrieval and movement of library materials.
- Interact with and safely utilize step stools and / or a short ladder within the library stacks or office space.
- Use PCs running Windows 10 operating systems, MS Office Suite 365, web browser, other Windows applications and library systems software.
- Library Staff technological tools including RFID scanning wands and item pick-up lockers.