Legal Principal : Dispute Resolution
- Johannesburg, Gauteng 2196
- De Beers Group of Companies
-Anglo American has built a world-leading, globally operating, multi-business unit and multi-commodity mining business.
Group Legal is a multi-jurisdictional team from a variety of backgrounds with considerable industry expertise, delivering integrated and collaborative advice to support the business operations and group functions of Anglo American to help them deliver their strategic objectives. With a presence around the globe, we partner with all functions and business teams to provide localized support in, among others, South Africa, Singapore, China, Australia, Chile, Peru, Brazil and the UK, as well as virtual support across Anglo American and De Beers’ other operational locations.
Our in-house capability is augmented by a suite of external legal providers utilised in a focussed way in order to deliver the optimal solution to the business.Furthermore, Group Legal is dedicated to working as a strategic partner to the business; creating value and providing business-enabling legal services and solutions tailored to the diverse needs of all business stakeholders.
-The Purpose of the Legal Principal’s role will be to provide legal advice and support to the Anglo-American Group in South Africa in respect of disputes and litigation risk management.
- Advise the Group on and manage demands, claims, disputes and litigation made by or against the Group.
- Develop and implement appropriate processes and templates to support the effective and efficient avoidance and management of disputes and litigation.
- Advise the Group on litigation risks in commercial transactions, including advising on appropriate contractual clauses and processes for effective dispute resolution and advising on litigation risks in mergers and acquisition and demerger transactions, as well as commercial arrangements.
- Proactively identify value creation opportunities to be leveraged by the appropriate use of litigation strategies.
- Effective reporting on matters to Group Legal leadership team and Group management.
- Evaluation of financial accounting for legal matters, and risk assessment.
- Manage the administrative processes associated with the litigation practice, including matter creation, budgeting, cost control, and invoice management.
- Broad scanning of industry to proactively identify emerging litigation risks and trends in disputes and litigation facing the Group and to advise the Group on appropriate measures to mitigate against such risks.
- Advise the Group on litigation of strategic importance for the Group.
- Effective collaboration and partnering with key internal and external stakeholders to foster a close working relationship and improved support.
- Seeking and implementing legal projects which are aligned with the Group’s Purpose to reimagine mining to improve people’s lives, going beyond business-as-usual projects, e.g. pro bono legal support to host communities.
- Advise the Group on regulatory compliance, litigation and strategic initiatives and objectives.
- LLB or similar legal qualification(s) in South Africa (minimum requirement).
- Having an LLM would be advantageous.
- Candidate must be an admitted legal practitioner of the High Court of South Africa and on the practicing or non-practicing roll of legal practitioners of the Legal Practice Council.
- Candidate must have 5 years or more post admission experience specializing in litigation and arbitration, practicing at a law firm and/or in-house legal litigation function at a listed corporate group.
Specific Knowledge requirements:
- Knowledge of mining environment, and its key legislation, is critical (MPRDA, NEMA etc).
- Knowledge of a typical supply chain contracting process, including vendor identification, vetting and onboarding, tender processes and contracting processes.
- Knowledge of the capital procurement process.
- Knowledge of a corporate procurement process relevant to obtaining of services from external law firms, including quotations, raising purchase orders and invoice approvals.
- Knowledge of and ability to use technical tools such as Microsoft Teams, Word, Excell, PowerPoint, Outlook, Smartsheet and Pursuit.
- Knowledge of the Group’s Purpose, Values, Strategy and Code of Conduct would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and regulations (MHSA, COIDA) is preferred.
- Knowledge of the typical suite of contract templates used in a supply chain, construction and capital procurement process.
- Knowledge of corporate governance approval processes in a litigation context.
- Knowledge of preparing briefing notes for executive stakeholders and presenting the legal analysis to them.
- Knowledge and experience of managing different kinds of disputes and litigation.
- Knowledge of basic project management would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of managing the delivery of external law firm services.
- Knowledge of administrative aspects related to managing legal matters.
- Compliance: Knowledge and understanding of the following (among others) relevant laws, with particular emphasis on application in a litigation context:
- Mining law (property, MPRDA)
- Civil law legislation and procedural rules
- Criminal law legislation and procedural rules
- Law applicable to prescription
- Law applicable to the institution of proceedings against organs of state
- Law applicable to the protection of access to information
- Law applicable to the protection of personal information
- Law applicable to the promotion of administrative justice
- Insolvency laws
- Laws applicable to evictions
- Laws applicable to land claims
- Laws applicable to delict
- Laws applicable to defamation
- Occupational health and safety laws
- Law applicable to compensation for occupational injuries and diseases
- Environmental laws applicable to the mining industry
-Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please click the link and complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.