- South Africa
Sappi Southern Africa
Sappi Saiccor Mill requires a Handyman Rigger to support the rigger in providing a rigging service to the mill by safely assisting with rigging and heavy lifting tasks contributing to overall equipment and plant efficiencies.
This role reports to the Superintendent of Maintenance.
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Load rigging equipment onto the trolley, convey it to a place of work and return to the rigging store on the completion of the task
- Select the correct lifting tackle and lifting equipment i.e., chain blocks, slings, and jacks for the rigging task at hand
- Assist with manual tasks such as pulling ropes, chains, etc, and collecting spares and items from stores using a trolley or forklift
- Remove and install heavy equipment where the lift is vertical and easily accessible under 5ton, supervising assistant: handyman rigger performing the task where applicable
- Complete complex lifts and lifts greater than 5tons under the supervision of the Rigger
- Remove and install floating loads not heavier than 2.5 tons, supervising Assistant: handyman Rigging performing the task where applicable
- Complete floating lifts heavier than 2.5 tons under the supervision of the Rigger
- Use the mobile crane to rig and lift loads under the supervision of the rigger
- Provide hand signals to support the crane driver when moving equipment using the mobile crane
- Transport heavy items using the forklift or overhead crane, when necessary, with riggers’ supervision where necessary
- Perform general cleaning in the plant or workshop and dust, paint, and clean rigging equipment
- Remove scrap and maintenance components from the plant
- Fasten goods on trailers, low beds, and trucks and supervise the assistant: handyman rigger if performing the task
- Complete winch, turfor and snatch block work limited to 3tons (horizontal or vertical), supervising assistant: handyman rigger if performing the tasks
- Complete lifts heavier than 3ton only when performed under the supervision of the rigger
- To perform work at all heights in all conditions mill-wide
- Perform Standby duties as required
The ideal candidate should have:
- Relevant NQF level 4 qualification (Grade 12 / N3)
- 1-year relevant experience as an Assistant: Handyman Rigger
- Completion of the Sappi handyman course will be considered advantageous
Closing Date: 01 December 2022
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issues while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.