- Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
- Rhodes University
Eastern Cape, Grahamstown
FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATOR (GRADE 9)
Recognising that diversity is important in achieving excellence, Rhodes University especially encourages South African members of under-represented designated groups to apply.
Please note that this appointment will be made in line with the requirements of the Employment Equity Act of RSA and the University’s recruitment and selection policies and equity strategies.
In terms of Immigration Legislation (Act No. 13 of 2002 & Regulations), international staff members (non-SA citizens) have to comply with the provisions of the Act. This therefore means that the period of employment in respect of non-RSA citizens will be guided by the validity period of the work permit. In line with legislation governing employment of foreign nationals, employment contracts will be offered on the basis that a development plan would be implemented for the transfer of skills to a South African resident. The onus is on candidates to ensure that they are in possession of a valid work permit before the commencement of employment at the University, failing which the employment with Rhodes University will be terminated.
To provide efficient financial and administrative service for Community Engagement Division in accordance with the University’s policies and procedures.
Logistical support for Programme Co-Ordinator’s and Academic Departments with regards courses, workshops, meetings and student transport and travel.
Fundraising/Advancement Support for Director which includes proposal writing, budgeting and donor management.
Grade 12 plus approximately 4 years’ relevant experience where such experience includes: -
- A thorough understanding of financial management and accounting principles, with the ability to consolidate sets of accounts in the required format/s. The ability to investigate and reconcile multiple accounts is essential.
- Previous experience in community engagement would be an advantage
- Previous experience in writing a requirement e.g. fundraising proposals or reports or academic papers etc.
- Previous experience working within a computerised accounting environment and having worked with Excel at an advanced level.
- Previous experience in working with word-processing (including being able to create and maintain databases), email and the internet.
- Previous experience in setting up and maintaining filing and administrative systems.
- Candidates who are certified bookkeepers (i.e., they belong to a professional body) will be at a distinct advantage.
- A Drivers license is a distinct advantage
For additional information in respect of the job requirements, please refer to the job profile. It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile of this post and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted.
VERY IMPORTANT: All applications should be submitted online. Candidates should submit the following documentation:
- The Rhodes University application form,
- A letter of motivation which clearly describes their suitability for the post they are applying for,
- A comprehensive CV
Failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered.
Selection Process (provisional dates, subject to change):
Short-listing – TBC
Assessment – TBC
Interviews – TBC
An employment check will be conducted on successful candidates
Remuneration (Grade 9):
Basic Salary Provident Fund: R21 223(Monthly)
Cost to Company Approximately: R349 650(Per Annum)
If you have any questions or experiencing challenges with submitting your application, please contact Ms Lianke Bradfield on 046 603 7037.
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. Applicants need to note that Rhodes University introduced a Covid-19 vaccine mandate with effect from January 2022. Candidates who may be invited to attend interviews on campus as well as staff need to conform to the requirements of the vaccine mandate which necessitate the presentation of a vaccine certificate.
If an applicant is not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider such an application unsuccessful.
Closing Date: 29th November 2022
For more information please contact:
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: R21,223.00 per month