- Saldanha, Western Cape
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 15.02.2023. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Environmental Officer
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : SHERQ
Location : Saldanha
Reporting To : Environmental Manager
Grade Level : G
Reference Number : 10280990
To ensure compliance to all environmental legislation, policies, procedures as well as international standards and guidelines
in the port for TNPA operations and other port users/Lessees in line with the company’s strategic direction; as well as to fulfil
the Authorities’ function in section 11(1) (g) (vi) of the National Ports Act, 12 of 2005: i.e. “To regulate and control pollution
and the protection of the environment within Port Limits”.
- To co-ordinate all environmental activities in the Port by providing a comprehensive environmental support to the Port’s
entrenched and applied in the Port.
- To ensure there is a planned systematic quantifying of aspects and impacts attached to any process or human activity
environmental degradation or negatively affect the port’s biodiversity.
- To implement and maintain a sound Environmental Risk Management Strategy for the Port in accordance with ISO
Environmental Management Plans and all applicable Legislative Requirements and Best Practices, which include but not
- Development of Port Core Procedures that are aligned to ISO14001 Standards and TIMS.
- Supporting business units in conducting environmental risk assessments and managing environmental risk exposures.
- Supporting business units in developing objectives and targets to mitigate environmental risks.
- Raising environmental awareness through various mediums such as Newsflashes, Induction, Awareness Sessions
- Conducting awareness training to ensure the Port employees are conversant with the Port’s Environmental
- Facilitating operational implementation of the Port’s Environmental Authorisations and associated Environmental
- Ensuring waste management practices adopted are according to Waste Management Plan, SOP’s and applicable
- Project manage environmental monitoring programmes which include but not limited to Alien Vegetation Management,
- Facilitate compliance to environmental requirements by all Contractors, Port Users and Port License Holders in line
- Conducts environmental compliance audits which include but not limited to TNPA Oversight Audits on Licensed
- Conducting monitoring to compliance which includes environmental incident management and follow ups, on
- Reviewing Environmental Management documents submitted as part of the SHE Files.
- Provide environmental commentary on Environmental Impact Assessment Reports where the Port (TNPA) is an
- Implement Environmental Management System (EMS) to ensure compliance with ISO 14001:2015 Standard and TIMS
Ensure Environmental Management System (ISO 14001:2015/ latest revision) implementation
# Ensure the required policies, procedures are developed and implemented.
# Ensure environmental risks are identified and rated.
# Ensure the environmental objectives, targets and management programmes are developed, implemented, and
# Ensure all system documentation is controlled and up to date.
# Ensure there’s monitoring and review of the system’s performance.
# Ensure internal and external audits are conducted.
# Always ensure there’s evaluation of compliance and strict adherence to compliance requirements.
# Ensure the Port is ready for TIMS & ISO14001:2015 internal audits as well as certification and surveillance audits.
# Give feedback, recommendations and draw implementation strategy that will assist the organisation to attain its
- Interpretation of statutory requirements and development of relevant operational procedures to ensure compliance to
# Assist in ensuring that the Port has an up to date Legal & Other Requirements Register, and that the register is fully
functional and accessible to the Port EXCO & SHE IMS working Committee Representatives.
# Assist in Port Environnemental Permit/License/ Certificates Acquisition.
# Assist with compliance to statutory processes which include but not limited to the EIA Process, Part 8 NEM: Waste Act
Process, AEL Process, etc, and associated Environmental Requirements.
# Assist in Monitoring of the Permits/Licenses Register.
- Evaluation of Compliance
# Conduct Terminal / Licensee Compliance Audits.
# Conduct Environmental Audits In the Port Projects.
# Assist in Environmental Legal Compliance Audits.
# Facilitate auditing of Port Reception Facility Audits.
# Facilitate Compliance Auditing by Statutory Bodies.
# Inspect operations/project areas on frequent basis and keep accurate reports.
- Involvement in Cross-Functional Teams
# Identification of internal & external stakeholder communication platforms relevant for Environmental Management.
# Active involvement and value adding input on various communication platforms with internal and external stakeholders.
# Active participation in Briefing Meetings, Technical Review Meetings, SHE Statutory Meetings, SHEIMS / EMS
Working Committee Meetings, TIMS Committees, Project Meetings, Fishing Industry Forum, Dry Bulk Forum, Liquid Bulk
Forum, New Business Development Initiatives, etc.
- Competence, Training & Awareness
# Training of employees in environmental management to ensure effective environmental understanding and control of
# Training will include but not limited to Environmental legislation, SHE Inductions and Environmental Awareness
# Self-development through Individual Learning Plan (ILP) Development.
- Operational Control
# Ensure environmental requirements are met by all Contractors, Port Users and Port License Holders in line with
Contractor Management, Port Oversight Protocols and legal requirements.
# Ensure environmental requirements are met by all Departments in the Port (TNPA) in line with environmental
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
# Ensure Environmental Management is incorporated in Business Continuity Management Plan and all statutory
requirements are followed.
- Incident / Non-Conformity Reporting & Investigation; Authority / HQ Reporting
# Investigation and root cause analysis of all environmental incidents and implementation of preventative measures to
ensure alignment with company procedures and statutory requirements.
- Performance Measurement and Monitoring
# Collate Stats and identify trends for various environmental monitoring programmes.
# Compile Sustainability Report and submit to the National Environmental Office.
- Environmental Administration
# Maintain accurate and complete records.
# Ability to write environmental reports, presentations, capture information on data systems.
# Compilation and retention of accurate records for meetings (Agenda, Attendance Register, Minutes, etc.)
Qualifications & Experience:
- National Diploma in Environmental Science/Environmental Management or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience in the environmental management field in the Port Environment or at least 3
- Valid Driver’s License
# Bachelor’s degree in Natural Sciences/Environmental Management
# Environmental Management System (any version)
# Environmental Impact Assessment experience
# Knowledge of Environmental Legislation
# Administrative and Coordination Skills
- Special Environmental Management Acts & Municipal By-Laws related to Environmental Management
- Environmental Management Policies, Concepts & Processes
- Environmental Impact Assessment Process
- Environmental Management System (ISO 14001)
- Monitoring, Inspections & Auditing
- Waste Management
- Incident investigation
- Statutory Reporting
- Project Management
- Policy Development
- Analytical skills
- Planning skills
- Computer literacy
- Good Communication skills
- facilitation and coordination skills
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
- Report Writing skills
- Data interpretation
- Planning & organising
- Outputs and results driven
- Team builder/player
- Passion for the protection of the environment under the principle of sustainable development.
- Change oriented