Dev Team Lead
- Cape Town, South Africa
1-grid.com is a fast-growing web hosting company in Cape Town with an established customer base, recently acquired by recognised leaders in the internet services industry.
We have the vision and resources to be the market leader in SA in the next 5 years; this vision is supported by an entrepreneurial culture that encourages innovation, collaboration, and top performance.
The primary responsibility of the team lead is, first and foremost, to contribute to the growth of our company by encouraging collaborative and high-performing teamwork.
We know that historically devs are viewed as hoody-wearing recluses we'd like you to help change that. You'll need to motivate and inspire your team to ensure they work as efficiently and effectively as possible.
You will also be responsible for providing team members with guidance, instruction, and training (this may involve retraining staff members as needed).
To succeed in this position, you must be results-oriented and able to manage a team of individuals on a day-to-day basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the team.
- Collaborate with other team leads and management to ensure projects are well scoped, on track, and in line with business objectives.
- Create a supportive team environment and motivate team members to perform at their best.
- Set clear goals and communicate that information to team members effectively, including regular reviews and KPI sessions.
- Empower team members with the skills they need to perform optimally.
- Use your extensive knowledge to teach and train where needed.
- Conduct ongoing research into industry best practices and use them to inform the department's strategy.
- Stay informed regarding industry changes and keep your skillset up to date
Qualifications and Experience
- 3 years + Leadership experience in a technical environment.
- 7 years + experience as a Developer
- 5 years + experience working in an agile / scrum environment.
- Experience in a TDD environment will be advantageous.
- Object-Oriented Programming with PHP 7 / 8.
- Good understanding of software design patterns.
- Experience with PHP MVC frameworks (e.g. Symfony, Laravel).
- Good knowledge of relational databases, version control tools and developing web services.
- A passion for best design and coding practices, as well as a desire for new, exciting ideas.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Familiarity with limitations of PHP as a platform and its workarounds.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Organised and able to work independently
- Ability to perform under pressure
- A team player
- Ability to recognise when it's actually a bug, not a feature
Our benefits are second to none we look after our people!
1. We look after your well-being and encourage a healthy lifestyle :
We pay 100% of your medical aid (Discovery & Vitality) so no deduction unless you want to add a beneficiary.
2. We think of your future :
Retirement Annuity up to 5% co-contribution of your monthly salary.
3. We invest in our employees :
Employees are encouraged to identify opportunities to upskill themselves, and we contribute towards relevant training and courses.