Conservation Officer - On Reserve (Level 8), Walkerbay Nature Reserve Complex
- Hermanus, Western Cape
This position is suited to a dedicated conservationist who would like to contribute meaningfully to the conservation of biodiversity through terrestrial, coastal and island management, protected area expansion, law enforcement, environmental awareness and stakeholder relations on and around the WalkerBay Nature Reserve complex.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY NO 1 – PROTECTED AREA & INTEGRATED CATCHMENT MANAGEMENT
- Assist Reserve Management with effective Protected Area Management and Expansion of the Protected Area Estate aligned with conservation, access, tourism, heritage and sustainable utilization plans.
- Interpret and implement applicable biodiversity, conservation, financial and administrative policies, SOP’s and guidelines.
- Assist Reserve Management with effective Integrated Catchment Management aligned with conservation, access, tourism, heritage and sustainable utilization plans and mitigate related risks.
- Assist Reserve Management with effective ecological management integrating conservation, access, tourism, natural heritage and sustainable utilization to identify and mitigate risks.
- Assist Reserve Management with conservation management and monitoring at protected area and landscape levels and ensuring progressive operationalization of various CapeNature programmes.
- Assist Reserve Management with progressive Integrated Catchment Management, with regards to fire & fuel load management and provide support to the Project Manager with regards to alien vegetation management.
- Assist Reserve Management with management of asset and infrastructure.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY NO 2 – HUMAN RESOURCES AND OHS
- Manage sub-ordinates in line with legislation, policies, and procedures to ensure a highly productive and motivated team.
- To ensure effective Human Resource Management.
- Manage number of Full Time Equivalents (FTEs) appointed at Walkerbay Nature Reserve Complex(n).
- Quality and timeously completed reports, forms, attendance registers, standby, S&T and overtime claims in the prescribed formats.
- Implement OHSA policies and procedures. Percentage incidents reported and investigated.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY NO 3 – FINANCE & ADMIN and ASSET / INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
- Financial and Administration Management in line with legislation, policies and procedures.
- Assist with Implementation of the Supply Chain Management Policies and procedures.
- Support effective financial, supply chain management, asset, fleet and administration management for the component.
- Assist with Implementation of Asset and Inventory management.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY NO 4 – TOURISM, ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND AWARENESS & PARTNERSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Number of Environmental Awareness Activities conducted (n).
- Quality tourism experience & facilities.
- Assist as environmental control officer.
- Attend stakeholder / partnership meetings.
- Assist Management to manage tourism activities, facilities & infrastructure.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY NO 5 – COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
- Ensure effective compliance monitoring & management on and off reserves to protect biodiversity and promote access through responsible tourism and sustainable resource utilization.
- National Diploma Nature Conservation.
- At least 5 years’ appropriate experience in a nature conservation environment.
- Bilingualism in two of the three official languages of the Western Cape.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation.
- No criminal record
- Appointed EMI or Peace officer.
- Fire suppression
- Willingness to work irregular hours, after hours and perform stand-by duties.
- Thorough working knowledge of MS Office
- Good written, verbal, interpersonal and communication skills in English
- Physical fitness to be able to perform activities.
- Appropriate ICS 200/300 training
- QGIS (or equivalent)
- A skipper license will be an added advantage.