Chief Director: Agricultural Producer Support and Development (AGR 02/2023)
- Elsenburg, Western Cape
- Elsenburg, Western Cape
The Department of Agriculture, Western Cape Government has an exciting employment opportunity for a suitably qualified and competent individual on a Senior Management Services level to manage the Agricultural Producer Support and Development Programme of the Department within the framework of the Department's vision and mission.
Provision of extension, support and facilitation of training to agricultural producers, with special emphasis on developing of smallholder farmers, facilitate the implementation of land reform programs and agricultural rural development projects.
- An appropriate degree (NQF 7) in agriculture or agricultural economics;
- 5 years of experience at a senior managerial level;
- Valid driver's license, or alternative mode of transport for people with disabilities; and
- Successful completion of the Senior Management Pre-entry Programme for entry into the SMS upon appointment. (Refer to note 4 below).
- Proficient in two of the official languages of the Western Cape Province.
Key Performance Areas
- Exercise oversight over the project management agenda of Casidra;
- Enable agrarian reform to smallholder and commercial farmers through sustainable agricultural development services;
- Oversee the provision of extension and advisory services to farmers;
- Oversee the successful implementation of food security projects;
- Provision of Strategic Leadership and Management;
- Promote the integrated governance and strengthening of strategic partnership and industry initiatives (local, national and international); and
- Manage the planning and reporting on the Conditional grants of the Programme.
- Strategic Capability and Leadership;
- Programme and Project Management;
- Change Management;
- Financial Management;
- People Management and Empowerment; and
- Analytical ability, motivational ability, negotiation - and persuasion ability, ability to function on a conceptual level.
All–inclusive salary package of R 1, 308 051. 00 per annum (salary level 14). Note: The remuneration package consists of a basic salary (70%) and the employer’s contribution to the Pension Fund. The remainder of the package may be structured according to your personal needs.
1) Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
2) All shortlisted candidates must make themselves available to be interviewed at a date, time and place as decided by the selection panel. Please ensure that you submit your application on or before the closing date as no late applications will be considered. The selection process will be guided by the EE targets of the employing department. Kindly note that technical support is only available from Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16.00. Should you experience any difficulties with your online application you may contact the helpline at 0861 370 214.
3) All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to a technical exercise that intends to test relevant technical elements of the job, the logistics of which will be communicated by the Department. Following the interview and technical exercise, the selection panel will recommend candidates to attend a generic managerial competency assessment (compliance with the DPSA directive on the implementation of competency based assessments). The competency assessment will be testing generic managerial competencies using the mandated DPSA SMS Competency Assessment tools.
4) The nominated candidate will be required to complete the Senior Management Pre-Entry Programme before they may be appointed into this post. The purpose of the Senior Management Pre-Entry Programme, which is a public service specific training programme applicable to all applicants who aspire to join the SMS, is to ensure that potential SMS members have a background on processes and procedures linked to the SMS. The duration of the online Pre-Entry Programme is 120 notional hours (15 days). Full details may be sourced by the following link: https://www.thensg.gov.za/training-course/sms-preentryprogramme/
5) Furthermore, thanks to the huge public interest, we receive many applications for our positions, and as such will not be able to respond personally to all applications. Therefore, should you not hear from us within 10 weeks from close of advert please consider your application unsuccessful.
Attachments (if applicable)