CAPS Subject Specialist | FAL- Sesotho
- Cape Town, Western Cape, ZA
- Valenture Institute
The Subject Specialist role is primarily responsible for ensuring that their subject grouping offers high-quality teaching and learning.
While this role is not a people-management role, the Subject Specialist will be responsible for providing guidance to a team of Learning Facilitators and Teaching Administrators and will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality tuition and the student experience.
The incumbent should be extremely detail-oriented, passionate about helping students succeed, well organised, and familiar with online learning management systems and data management.
The ideal candidate should have a positive personality and growth mindset, excellent interpersonal skills, and an unbridled passion for and commitment to changing the world (yes, the world) through high-quality education.
DAY-TO-DAY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE :
Learner experience :
- Develop a variety of teaching and instructional methodologies that make up best practices for their subject group.
- Conduct lesson planning within your subject team to develop appropriate teaching solutions and strategies that target the specific student needs that arise as they progress through the course.
- Take ownership of students enrolled in your subject, and monitor their academic performance using data and metrics aligned with key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Work closely with the Product team to improve content, using data analysis and best practice in your subject grouping.
- Consult on the course evaluations process to ensure that feedback is channelled into the Learning Design team according to the ADDIE model.
- Work closely with the Learning Facilitators and Teaching Administrator to supply resources for remediation.
- Work with our Student Mentors, Student Experience Leads and Student Well-Being to oversee the progress of all students on Individual Support Plans within the allocated student group.
- Review holistic performance of students on a regular basis.
- Facilitate and participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, clubs and student organisations.
- Mentoring, coaching, developing, and motivating the Learning Facilitators in your subject grouping to enable them to facilitate transformative learning experiences.
- Moderate submissions that contribute to learner progress.
- Using subject specifications to ensure that the quality of grading meets the required examination standards.
- Using subject specifications to ensure that content meets the required examination standards, peer-review cycle tests and exam papers set by the Learning Designer, and determine the efficacy and suitability of content.
- Meet weekly with the Learning Facilitators and Teaching Administrators in your team to identify student progress, trends and at risk-students.
Community of practise :
- Engage in lesson observations with fellow Learning Facilitators, Teaching Administrators and your Lead to maintain quality assurance of instruction in line with Valenture’s Teaching and Learning approach and to enable personal and peer improvement through feedback, coaching and mentorship.
- Weekly professional development sessions to develop a deep knowledge of the most recent advances of research in the subject you teach, as well as the research on how something can be taught and learned.
- Engage in the systemic integration of scientific educational knowledge, didactics (or pedagogical content knowledge), and practice to enable teachers to enhance their pedagogical thinking, evidence-based decision making, and engagement in the professional community of educators.
- Minimum of 5 years teaching experience at secondary school level, with either BEd, PGCE, or relevant qualification.
- Experience teaching the CAPS or IEB curriculum will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively working with young people to promote their individual academic potential.
- Adept in a technological environment.
- Operationally savvy.
- A good feel for working with assessment data and operational data.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent administrative and reporting skills.
- Must be comfortable working remotely and independently.
- Stable internet connection required.
- Police clearance required.
- SACE registration or eligible to apply for SACE
Tech requirements :
- A second screen.
- A stable internet connection (minimum of a 20mbps line).
Salary : R36 000
- Remote working
- Voluntary savings programme