- City of Cape Town, Western Cape, US
- Supernova Brands
Supernova Brands (formally known as J and J Rewards) is a dynamic and expanding import and distribution company in Cape Town, South Africa.
We specialise in bringing "out of this world" products to the biggest and best retailers in South Africa; including but not limited to Takealot, Superbalist, Incredible Connection, Makro, Builders, OneDayOnly and Leroy Merlin.
Our 2 core product categories include lifestyle tech and homeware. If there’s a product that brings the promise of excitement, style and innovation to these product categories, chances are great that our team is already working on a strategic rollout plan to bring it to market.
Our recent rebrand to Supernova Brands is the manifestation and culmination of our 8+ years of experience in the South African distribution industry;
with a realignment to our core strengths, our culture and what excites us. We’ve always strived to bring an enormous amount of energy and focus to everything we do.
Given our strong omni-channel presence, and the vast amount of technical sourcing and marketing experience of our team, we have the ability and mission of making our products and brands explode in the retail environment - Like a Supernova.
This is the promise that we want to make to the brands we represent, and to the customers that we serve.
Our HQ, situated at the Old Castle Brewery in Woodstock, is occupied by an awesome team of young, professional hustlers, go-getters, innovators and strategists.
Our warehouse, situated at Prime Park in Montague Gardens, is run and managed by a dynamic team of experienced movers and shakers.
About the role
We are looking for a young and talented buying assistent to join our Tech -and Brand Division at our Woodstock HQ.
Our business environment is constantly changing, and it is the buying team’s responsibility to ensure that our teams and customers have the right products, in the right quantities, at the right price.
The buying assistant will work under the head of division with the goal of ensuring a smooth and informed link between our suppliers and our customers.
The buying assistent is involved with all aspects of these transactions and procurement decisions with the support of our logistics team.
The buying assistant also serves as a company representative when dealing with new and current suppliers. It is their responsibility to ensure that supplier relationships are strong and healthy, and that communication and stock flows as smooth as possible.
Key responsibilities include :
- Placing of Purchase Orders for the Tech Division
- Overseeing and assisting with procurement tasks pertaining to placed orders
- Stock planning and forecasting with the sales team
- Cost and comparing of products offerings from suppliers
- Creation and / or compilation of sales and marketing material from suppliers for the sales team
- Assisting the head of division with the creation of company-related notifications and / or email templates for distribution to new / exciting customers pertaining to new products,brands and / or company updates.
- Hunting and pitching new potential products and / or brands for the company to consider
- Assist the sales team with related enquiries from customers or potential customers
- Hunting for local suppliers in the event of specific customer enquiries
- Measuring / monitoring stock performance to determine core / dead lines for replenishment orders
- Assist the sales team with store and / or display-stand planning projects
- Actively monitor and suggest / implement improvements for the enhancement of the division alongside the head of division.
Eventually, this is not where we want your role to end. We are constantly looking for new brands and products to onboard, and we eventually want those brands to become big! Once they reach a certain point of growth, they require a dedicated brand manager to groom and oversee their strategic expansion.
The natural progression of a buying assistant is to eventually use their acquired insight and skills to take over the strategic management of a brand portfolio as a brand manager.
You have a strong desire to grow professionally and are excited to learn new skills and business concepts.You work well in a team, take initiative, and take pride in building your career.
You are organised, proactive, focussed and logical, but have a keen eye for branding with a natural interest in marketing.
You can rock an Excel spreadsheet and you consider Canva one of the greatest software innovations of our century (apart from ChatGPT).
In a nutshell, you are probably 40% right-brained and 60% left brained.
Although prior experience in a buying / procurement role could be a benefit, it is not a pre-requisite. You have the mind of a sponge after all ;)
In terms of your passion, you get excited by new consumer electronics and gadgets; and like diving into their specifications.
Tertiary education is a must though, and formal education in a marketing or business discipline will certainly count in your favour.
This is an entry-level opportunity in our industry, so don't expect to be retiring in Clifton just yet. That being said, we like all our employees to stay with us for the long term.
Your salary package will be fair based on your prior experience.