Assistant Underwriting Consultan
- Johannesburg North (Johannesburg North), Gauteng
- Strategic Personnel
About the position
As a member of the team, the primary focus of your role will include driving the formulation and implementation of the risk model and life claims philosophy, analysis of claims and other data to recommend and implement changes to the risk model, sanctioning new risk strategies, managing relationships and policies with the reinsurers, creating training material and educate risk consultants on industry trends, standards and risk management skills, assisting with the definition of operational processes related to risk management.
Your role may change over time, depending on your performance, your needs and the business’s needs
Who’ll you report to:
You’ll be based at Head office in Sandton, Johannesburg.
You’ll report to the Team Leader: Underwriting Back Office, who is accountable for our Life Policy Underwriting functions.
- Grade 12 (Essential)
- Relevant tertiary qualification; a medical diploma/degree beneficial
Your Outputs (include but is not limited to):
- Underwriting anniversary, servicing and new business and verifying of Risk management risk attributes
- Adhering to Risk Management (underwriting) rules, rating, and insurance laws and regulations
- Make decisions regarding the acceptance, price and policy terms and condition that are consistent with business Risk Management and ensuring a profitable loss ratio
- Identifying underwriting concerns and suggest possible solutions
- Manage and resolve queries received from various stakeholders including doing the necessary follow up work
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers
- Evaluate and underwrite risk from new and existing business
- Monitoring applications to ensure the highlighted risks will not potentially lead to
- Assisting with underwriting training
- Decline excessive risks or imposes additional conditions or premiums to high risk.
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in life underwriting and administration industry.
- Call centre experience would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of long-term insurance industry in underwriting
- Experience in Individual life insurance product ie Life cover, Permanent Disability cover, Temp Income Cover and Critical Illness
- Sound Business and Operational knowledge of Insurance Industry administrative processes
- Good knowledge of the business administration platforms
- Familiar with Compliance Processes and Procedures in the Insurance Industry Skills
- MS Office and PC literate
- Accurate Typing Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Quality driven
- Ability to pay attention to detail as accuracy is important
- Using effective interpersonal skills to resolve conflict situations
- Ability to work effectively with others and contribute to team task accomplishment
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities
- Have the ability to operate effectively under pressure
- Task and deadline orientated
- Analytical mind and above average problem-solving techniques
- Strong sense of ownership
- Pro-active and innovative
- Relationship Management
- Medical Underwriter
- Life Underwriting
- Call Centre Underwriter