Closing date: 20.02.2023
Role title Assistant Accountant
Division Finance Division
Location Netcare Head Office
Reporting structure Assistant Financial Manager
The Assistant Accountant will be responsible for assisting with fixed asset related functions, reconciliations
and reporting as well as assist with the maintenance and control of the Group’s capital expenditure budget.
Key work output and accountabilities
- Processing of Cashbook.
- Preparation, loading and reviewing of payments.
- Reporting, clarification & resolution of payment queries.
- Reconciliation of General ledger accounts.
- Reconciliations of various loan accounts (hospital and non-hospital).
- Processing / allocation / responding to transactions via General Ledger.
- Processing of ad hoc journal entries, preparation of the monthly balance sheet review file, cost centre
general ledger allocation and other queries.
- Adherence to internal control procedures relating to responsibilities.
- Communicating with internal parties (hospitals and Central Payments Department) and providing
exceptional customer service.
- Reporting, clarification & resolution of reconciling items.
General ledger maintenance
- Ensure that the following payroll related journal entries are processed on a monthly basis to the
correct GL account and cost centres (leave pay provision, bonus provision, staff loans, and executive
- Ensure that the WCA provision calculation has been prepared in line with the ruling from the
Compensation Commissioner, and that the entries are processed to the correct GL accounts.
- Ensure that the post retirement provision expenses have been processed in line with the budget
guidelines and the profit forecast guidelines.
- Ensure that the IFRS2 expense journals have been prepared in line with the budget guidelines and the
profit forecast guidelines.
- Ensure that the revenue related journal entries have been processed in line with the request from the
business analysis team.
- Ensure that the provision for bad debts journal entries are processed in line with the doubtful debt
- Ensure that the financial packs for the dormant entities have been prepared for review by the Financial
Accountant and the Financial Manager prior to submission to Group Finance.
- Ensure that the deadlines for the financial pack submissions have been adhered to.
- Ensure that the Balance Sheet reconciliations are prepared monthly and that any reconciling items are
followed up timeously and resolved within 30 days.
- Ensure that the EFT batch payments have been prepared prior to the authorisation of the payments by
the payment releasers.
- As part of this process, ensure that the payments have been captured to the correct beneficiaries and
that the correct amounts have been captured.
- Ensure that the cheques have been prepared to the correct payees and that the correct amounts have
- Ensure that any unpaid cheques are reissued to the suppliers timeously.
- Grade 12.
- Studying towards an accounting / financial qualification is advantageous.
- Minimum of 2 -3 years relevant financial working experience.
- Proven computer literacy skills (SAP and Microsoft Excel).
NON MANAGERIAL/ SPECIALIST SKILLS
Taking Action Capable of recognising the need for action, considering possible risks and
taking responsibility for results.
Decision Making Capable of making decisions timeously and taking responsibility for the
Managing Self Capacity to plan, organise and control own work environment by setting
appropriate priorities and achieving set objectives within a given time
Customer Focus and Service The capacity to identify and respond to the needs of *internal and
Delivery external customers.
- Internal and external customers include patients, doctors, colleagues,
suppliers, visitors, vendors and any other person that requires a relationship
Adapting and Responding to Capable of supporting and advocating change initiatives and managing
Change own reaction to change.
Continuous Improvement The capacity to improve systems and processes to facilitate continuous
Personal Work Ethic Capacity to instil an ethic of quality and consistency in self and others.
Building Relationships Capacity to establish constructive and effective relationships.
Communication The capacity to clearly present information, either written or verbal.
Teamwork Capacity to cooperate with others to work towards a common goal.
Technical Knowledge The capacity to perform a technical function to required standards.
Values and behaviours
Netcare values At Netcare, our core value is care. We care about the dignity of our
patients and all members of the Netcare family. We care about the
participation of our people and our partners in everything we do. We care
about truth in all our actions. We are passionate about quality care and
- Care - The basis of our business. The professional, ethical patient care
and services we offer at every level of the organization.
- Truth - The crucial element in building relationships that work.
Open communication with honesty and integrity is essential.
- Dignity - An acknowledgement of the uniqueness of individuals.
A commitment to care with the qualities of respect and
- Compassion - We engage everyone with empathy and respond with
acts of compassion in all interactions with our patients and their
- Participation - The willingness and desire to work in productive and
creative partnerships with others and the commitment to
The Netcare way Netcare is committed to providing quality care. Our basic service standard
holds us accountable for the below seven behaviours, which you will be
accountable to uphold:
- I always greet everyone to show my respect.
- I always wear my name badge to show my identity.
- I am always well-groomed to show my dignity.
- I always practise proper hand hygiene to show my care.
- I always engage to show my compassion.
- I always say thank you to show my appreciation.
- I always embrace diversity to show I am not a racist.
Netcare is an equal opportunity employer
The Company's approved Employment Equity plan and targets will be considered as part of the
recruitment process aligned to the Group's Employment Equity strategy. Netcare actively supports the
recruitment of people with disabilities.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are requested to e-mail a detailed CV to
- Please note that reference checks for internal applicants will be conducted with the applicant's current
and past Netcare direct line managers and the relevant Netcare HR Managers. Therefore, employees
are encouraged to discuss internal job applications with their direct line manager to ensure that the
line manager is aware of the application.
- The terms and conditions of employment relating to the function you have applied for will be based on
those in the Division you will be employed.
- If a candidate has any disability that may impair the individual's ability to perform the job function, the
candidate must kindly inform the employer so that an assessment for reasonable accommodation can
- By applying for this position and providing us with your CV and other personal information, you are
consenting to the information being used for the specific purpose for which it was provided, which is
recruitment purposes and possible appointment purposes (should you be successful). Please note that
your information will be processed for recruitment purposes only or for such purposes relating to
assessing the establishment of an employment relationship with yourself, and this will be done in
accordance with the applicable data protection and privacy legislation. We confirm that such
information will not be used for any other purpose without obtaining your prior consent.
- If your application is not successful, we retain your CV and other information provided on our
electronic system. If you object to your information being used in accordance with the aforementioned
clauses, please indicate your objection, and we will immediately securely destroy your personal