- Kempton Park, Gauteng 1619
DSV - Global transport and logistics
In 1976, ten independent hauliers joined forces and founded DSV in Denmark. Since then, DSV has evolved to become the world's 5th largest supplier of global solutions within transport and logistics. Today, we add value to our customers' entire supply chain by transporting, storing, packaging, re-packaging, processing and clearing all types of goods. We work every day from our many offices in more than 80 countries to ensure a steady supply of goods to production lines, outlets, stores and consumers all over the world. Our reach is global yet our presence is local and close to our customers. Read more at www.dsv.com
Location: Kempton Park
Job Posting Title: Accounting Assistant
Time Type: Full time
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This position entails a multitude of accounting activities including Vat reconciliation preparation, General Ledger reconciliation preparation, fixed asset and lease accounting, journal preparation, audit preparation and tight deadlines. The assistant accountant will work closely with the Accountants and Senior Accountant. Responsibilities include the ability to ensure that work is accurately completed in a timely manner and to ensure the financial results are reliable, accurate and complete.
Tertiary Qualification(s) - Advantage
B Com Accounting or similar Accounting degree/ qualification
Computer Literacy Level - Intermediate
MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook
Additional Computer Skills
- Intermediate to advanced: SAP BPC & ERP systems, Cargowise Financials
- Broad knowledge of reconciliation procedures.
- Good working knowledge of Tax, including VAT, WHT and income tax etc
- Good working knowledge of foreign currency translations and revaluations
- Thorough knowledge of company’s accounting policies and procedures.
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Able to identify and solve problems.
- Ability to analyse financial data
- Acting professionally
- Delivering objectives
- Ability to deal with changing circumstances
- High attention to detail, accuracy and good analytical skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work with a team
Recon and Journal preparation
Previous experience in a Shared Services environment
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of all tasks and relevant deadlines are met.
- Monitor and ensure that the month end checklists are actioned
- Maintain and understanding and preparation of the Balance Sheet reconciliations monthly and advise on any risks and/or opportunities. Ensure appropriate support\comments for financial controller reviews. Ensure investigation and or escalation of outstanding items.
- Action and respond to GL queries raised by Accountants and Controllers.
- Maintain Fixed and leased asset ledgers/schedules and recons, identifying areas for process improvement. Ensure business verification quarterly.
- Assist in the preparation of country specific statutory reports.
- Prepare and upload journals – standard as well as resulting from the business and financial controller reviews
- Process all standard/routine journals, interfaces and adjustments prior to WD 1.
- Reverse and ensure all Reversing journals have been reversed by the 15th of each month. Perform Balance sheet recon to ensure all have reversed and get sign off by Financial Controller.
- Ensure that correct support is attached, and correct accounts are used on journals.
- Maintain recurring allocation entries on a monthly and annual basis.
- Maintain PLanon leases system for new leases and modifications
- Update monthly expense schedules to ensure costs are all in and any accruals are inlign with trends.
- Reduce the risk of Out of Period Costs
- Maintain accounting controls.
- Support the Accountants and Controllers – Financial and Business
- Assist in the preparation of budget files and forecasting activities.
- Assist internal and external auditors with annual and quarterly audits.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close and ensure that the journals and recons have been prepared with the expected quality.
- Follow current procedures and processes to ensure efficient and reliable reporting results and compliance.
- Perform Ad hoc duties for Accountants and senior management
- Liase with AP, AR and Senior Management
- Period-end close responsibilities may require time outside the normal business hours
Disclaimer: Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should an external candidate not hear from us within four (4) weeks following their application, they should consider their application unsuccessful. Strictly fair and non-discriminatory selection procedures will be followed. We use Affirmative Action (AA) measures in an endeavor to redress the disadvantages in employment experienced by designated groups. Where possible, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act and in line with DSV’s Employment Equity plans. DSV reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.