AD Project Management - Early Development Services - EMEA
- Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Johannesburg, Gauteng
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll discover meaningful work that makes a positive impact on a global scale. Join our colleagues in bringing our Mission to life - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We provide our teams with the resources needed to achieve individual career goals while taking science a step beyond through research, development and delivery of life-changing therapies. With clinical trials conducted in 100+ countries and ongoing development of novel frameworks for clinical research through our PPD clinical research portfolio, our work spans laboratory, digital and decentralized clinical trial services. Your determination to deliver quality and accuracy will improve health outcomes that people and communities depend on – now and in the future.
The Project Management, Early Development team are expanding and looking for an Associate Director to join them. As a leader in this team, you will be responsible for;
Works effectively across multiple divisions to direct the delivery of projects within cost, time and quality requirements.
- Works with leadership in all functional areas on the continuous development/improvement of business processes to support cross functional teams and to ensure that work is uniform, complete and managed appropriately.
- Serves as a liaison with Business Development and Bids/Contracts for the client presentations and proposal development.
- Assists in resource utilization, policy development, and implementation of goals.
- This position may be responsible for directing and leading the activities of a therapeutic area within a Region and accountable for the P&L of a specific therapeutic area.
- Develops and drives the specific and overall therapeutic area strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of annual plans and targets.
- Has overall responsibility for instigating and leading change initiatives within the therapeutic area and works with peers of Therapeutic areas in the overall leadership of the Project Management group.
Keys to Success:
- Ensures the timely execution of clinical trials with a focus on quality deliverables for a segment of the business which may include an entire therapeutic group within a region. In those cases, develops and drives the specific and overall Therapeutic Area Strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of annual plans and targets. Facilitates hand-off meetings and kick-off meetings to identify potential risks and work with the project team to develop and communicate contingency plans. Ensures project risks and potential contingencies impacting time/quality/cost of deliverables are discussed with Senior Management through appropriate escalation pathways. Reviews and assesses project profitability through the identification of “out of scope” activity in a timely manner and supporting follow through on all aspects of contract modification.
- Manages the overall budgeting activity of the groups - annual and long range forecast.
- Accountable for the line management of project managers and senior project managers. Effectively recruits, inducts and retains staff. Provides ongoing coaching, feedback and training, addresses performance issues, responsible for formal performance appraisals, development plans and career coaching. Responsible for proposing salary and bonus recommendations and supporting recommendations with appropriate documentation.
- Communicates with sponsor(s) regularly to obtain direction and feedback on implementing scope of work as well as performance to date. Identifies unusual or significant problems encountered during the course of a clinical trial and proposes strategies for preventing or correcting significant problems.
- Assists in business development activities to obtain additional contracts by writing and reviewing proposals, making presentations to potential clients and representing the location/division at appropriate professional meetings and conferences. Fosters client relationships and supervise strategic sell initiative of the division.
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 10+ years) or equivalent and relevant combination of education, training, & experience.
- 5+ years of management responsibility
- Proven leadership skills
Years of experience refers to typical years of related experience needed to gain the required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. Years of experience are not to be used as the only determining factor in establishing the job class or making employment selection decisions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and problem solving ability.
- Effective organization and negotiation skills.
- Expert knowledge of project management principles and application.
- Possesses depth of knowledge and practical application of budgeting, forecasting and resource management.
- A relationship builder who is able to work effectively in matrix organizations.
- Has successfully led national/international cross functional teams.
- Demonstrates cultural awareness and adapts appropriately.
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and Directives.
- Skilled in process improvement, especially as it applies to clinical trials, clinical development and project management.
- Knowledge of medical therapeutic area and medical terminology.
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills.
- Computer skills
- Directs through lower management levels and / or highly skilled specialist employees who exercise significant latitude and independent judgment.
- Often heads one or more departments or a large centralized staff function.
- In some instances may be responsible for a functional area (as determined by executive management) and not have subordinate supervisors or employees.
- May manage employees across multiple regions.
Working Conditions and Environment:
- Work is performed in an office/ laboratory and/or a clinical environment.
- Exposure to biological fluids with potential exposure to infectious organisms.
- Exposure to electrical office equipment.
- Personal protective equipment required such as protective eye wear, garments and gloves.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory with PPD, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
- This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response.